The Richard K. and Shirley S. Hemingway endeavors to create positive impact in the following priority areas:
Arts and Culture
Grants are considered to organizations and institutions whose goal is to enrich Utah and Idaho communities and the lives of patrons through programs of cultural value that span the entire realm of human endeavor. The Foundation accepts requests in these categories:
- Programs that are designed to broaden access to the arts through increased artistic expression and education in the arts for underserved populations.
- Performances, exhibits or programs that aim to raise the artistic standards in Utah and Idaho communities.
- Ongoing educational and curriculum opportunities in the arts for grades K-12.
Grants are considered to organizations and institutions whose goal is to improve the environment by focusing on projects that promise measurable results for a sustainable human environment by increasing the connection between individuals in Utah and Idaho and the natural world. The Foundation accepts requests in these categories:
- Protecting, preserving and restoring natural habitats.
- Monitoring and enhancing water quality.
- Making nature accessible in urban areas.
- Educating the public about environmental stewardship.
Grants are considered to organizations and programs that help low-income children, teens and adults overcome obstacles that impede their progress of moving out of poverty and towards stabilization and self-sufficiency. The Foundation accepts requests in these categories:
- Adult Self-Sufficiency—programs that promote adult literacy, provide specific educational or job training opportunities, improve parenting and other necessary life skills, or provide transitional or long-term affordable housing strategies to prevent homelessness.
- Children, Teen and Families Self-Sufficiency—programs that promote empowerment of individuals and families, with an emphasis on children and teens, by promoting life skills development, building social networks, increasing self-esteem and sense of empowerment, preventing teen pregnancy, providing mentors and support to help improve outcomes for children and teens.